Service as Action
In line with the IB philosophy and as part of our mission at KIS, we strive to be caring members of the world community and put our learning into action. We aim to make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment.
The service as action programme is rooted within the curriculum, where students are supported in making connections between subject matter and needs within the local or global community. By taking action to address these needs, students should:
* become more aware of their own strengths and areas for growth
* undertake challenges that develop new skills
* discuss, evaluate and plan student-initiated activities
* persevere in action
* work collaboratively with others
* develop international-mindedness through global engagement, multilingualism and intercultural understanding
* consider the ethical implications of their actions
All MYP students are required to undertake service as action activities each year, with students becoming more independent in their identification of opportunities, planning and participation as they progress through the programme. At KIS we have an emphasis on the quality of the action rather than the quantity or number of hours spent. However, as a guideline, students should aim to undertake a minimum of one long term (at least one hour a week for 10 weeks) or two short term activities each year.
Each activity should be planned in advance and approved by a supervisor. A reflection should be completed at the end of the activity. These should be recorded using Managebac.